San Diego Floral Association
School Garden Grant Program
Cultivating Hearts and Minds, One Garden at a Time™
Purpose/Scope/Mission of the Grants
The San Diego Floral Association School Garden Grant Program provides funding to support educational school garden programs in San Diego County.
The purpose of the grant is to foster education, encouragement and personal development through demonstrations, classes and hands-on experiences.
The San Diego Floral Association School Garden Grant Program is managed by the SDFA Grant Committee.
1. Schools eligible for this Grant include:
- Private and public schools
- Schools residing in San Diego County
2. Types of programs eligible for funding:
- Activities which support the overall purpose of your garden program.
3. Structure of the Grant Program
- Grants are awarded annually. Applicant must re-apply for further consideration.
- Grant money must be used within 12 months of receipt of funding.
- Applicants must agree to a pre-site visit by the SDFA Grant Committee
4. The SDFA School Garden Grant will not fund:
- General capital improvements – i.e. costs not directly associated with the operation or expansion of your school garden program
- General operating costs – i.e. costs not directly associated with the operation or expansion of your school garden program
- General property costs – e.g. property taxes, insurance, rent/mortgage, utilities
5. Grant Award Amounts
- Funds will be awarded up to $300.00.
6. The Application Process
- The Grant Application can be emailed to eligible applicants by sending a request to Outreach@sdfloral.org
- Or applicants can access an online application here:
Click here for application
- Deadlines and Timing
- a. Completed Grant Applications and all accompanying documentation must be RECEIVED by the SDFA Grant Committee by June 31.
- b. Review by SDFA Grant Committee will be completed by July 31.
- c. Determination by SDFA Grant Committee will be completed by August 31.
- d. Grant award recipients will be notified and funds will be awarded in September.
- Completed applications and supporting documentation* can be emailed to Outreach@sdfloral.org or mailed to San Diego Floral Association, 1650 El Prado, Room 105, San Diego, CA 92101, attn.: “Garden Outreach Grant Program”.
*All email attachments must be in PDF format.
7. Follow up
- Grantees will acknowledge the San Diego Floral Association’s School Garden Program at their garden.
- Grantees will allow SDFA representatives to be on site for photographs* and interviews for articles and publicity.
- Grantees will allow SDFA to arrange for media* to be on site.
*Grantee will arrange for permissions (parental or otherwise) for all photos, video, interviews and other media requests.
Mission: To promote the knowledge and appreciation of horticulture and floriculture in the San Diego region.